Wednesday, October 28, 2009

HOW I FEEL ABOUT BEING AN ONLINE STUDENT (UNIT 3)

I find that being an online student is much easier then I thought it was going to be. I do miss the personal interaction of being face to face with everyone, but I also enjoy not having to be face to face. It is like the lesser of two evils I think.

The flexability that it offers is great. I like the fact that I can go into the class at anytime of he day or night to do post or assignments, and the dropbox is always open. I do find at my home that the middle of the night is the best time for me to do any type of composing. Its like my brain wakes up after midnight and runs until 6a.m. I usually never sleep at night.

When I first started the online courses I thought to myself "How is this going to work not having a live person to get help from on a daily bases." But I have found that the self-directed type of learning is like going to the adult education. You can do it at your own pace and allot of times it makes you discover just how intelligent you are, you really didn't need to have the extra help after all. I have also found that my work ends up being more detailed due to the fact that there is no one to really guide you, so how much detail do you include.

Just like they have added the blog portion of this class, I think this was a good idea because I feel that not only are we doing this for a project, I think this is helping the class to get to know each other better, and unless like this little assignment they have given us, you don't have to know any more or less about the people that are in your class then you care to know. I think the blogging was a good idea of Kaplan's. But I think it will only work for certain classes not all of them.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Sherry! I have to agree with the face to face although I don't miss it at all! I am the type of person that likes to be able to speak freely and how I like rather than have to worry about wrong answers or people staring at me like I am dumb! I have to agree as well that I never thought I could do it without a teacher guiding me but really we do still have a little bit of that guidance. The teachers posts on every unit and the seminars is our"teacher" time to make sure we know what we are doing and understand why we are doing it. I think the blog portion of this class is neat! It's something different that I have never done before. I also think it will only work for certain classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sherry
    Our thoughts are almost exactly the same. Sometimes I wish I could just raise my hand to ask a quesion,I guess I can but I don't think I will get called on LOL. But at least we can send a email and with our Professors being so awesome we get our questions answered very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherry!
    I completely agree. Online classes are much easier also because they give you all of your resources at your own disposal. It's nice... The flexibility is the whole reason why I decided to do online schooling. The teachers seem to have a little more dedication as well, which is nice because they try their best to help everybody achieve greatness...

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI HEATHR, MANDY, AND ALICIA,

    I see that we all pretty much fell the sameway bout going to college online. I think if they had this option for the old people like me when we were your age alot of us wouldnt be sitting here now, but rather out enjoying life with good careers to back us up already. Thanks for responding to my blog
    Sherry W.

    ReplyDelete